The Society of Africanist Archaeologists is an organization of archaeologists, researchers from associated disciplines and others who share an interest in African archaeology and African societies. Our membership is international, with participation from Africa, the Americas, Europe and Asia, and is actively involved in research in many African countries. SAfA is an affiliated organization of the Society for American Archaeology and the African Studies Association.
SAfA publishes a bulletin, Nyame Akuma, which appears twice a year and which contains short reports on research projects as they take place around the continent. As a benefit of SAfA membership, you can order any or all of the following journals at a discount over regular subscription rates: Azania, The African Archaeological Review and Journal of African Archaeology.
SAfA membership is essential for anyone with an interest in African archaeology, palaeoanthropology or history. Our membership dues structure is very reasonable, with special provisions for students and retired people and free membership for Africans residing in Africa.
See our Membership page for further information on how to become a member.
The Biennial Meetings
SAfA also holds biennial conferences devoted to African archaeology and related research topics. Since 1996, the meetings have alternated between Europe and North America, with two conferences held jointly with the Pan-African Association in Africa (2010 and 2014):
- 2020 (20-25 September) University of Oxford, UK (webpage: https://www.arch.ox.ac.uk/safa-2020)
- 2018 (18-21 June) University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Archive & meeting abstracts, program sessions and proceedings)
- 2016 (26 June - 2 July) Université de Toulouse, France (business meeting minutes)
- 2014 (13-18 July) University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa jointly with the Panafrican Association (business meeting minutes)
- 2012 (18-23 June) University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (minutes of the business meeting)
- 2010 (1-7 November) Dakar, Senegal jointly with the Panafrican Association of Prehistory meeting (program and abstracts, business meeting minutes)
- 2008 (8-11 September) Frankfurt, Germany (minutes of business meeting)
- 2006 (23-26 June) University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada (minutes of business, and executive meetings)
- 2004 (26-29 June) University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway (business meeting minutes)
- 2002 (18-22 May) University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
- 2000 (12-15 July) Cambridge University, UK
- 1998 (21-24 May) Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, USA
- 1996 (3-6 September) Dymaczewo Conference Center, Poznan, Poland
- 1994 (28 April-1 May) Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
- 1992 (28-29 March) University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
- 1990 (22-25 March) University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
- 1988 (27 April -1 May) Sheraton Hotel, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
- 1986 (12-16 April) University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
- 1984 (10-11 April) Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, USA
- 1982 (6-8 May) University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
- 1979 (21 April) University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- 1977 (25-27 April) Braniff Place Hotel, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- 1975 (27-29 April) Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- 1973 (14-16 April) Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, USA
- 1971 (April) Urbana, Illinois, USA